"But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure." Psalm 71:14-15

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Better Place...

I tried tonight to find the letter to the editor of the Knoxville News Sentinel that I wrote 4 years ago. It talked about being disheartened. I remember so vividly, I couldn’t understand how millions of Americans could turn out in droves to re-elect a president who had done so much harm. So many people were/are without health care, early childhood education, a good/fair start. It was a great heart-felt letter, eloquently worded. I was very proud, but I can’t find it.

As this election approached, I warned my husband about being too excited, too confident. He said, “We have this in the bag.” And I said, “I’ve been through this before. I’ve knocked on doors, and had the numbers. But polls don’t mean anything. VOTES DO.” I was too scared to get excited.
I sit here in shock, bawling my eyes out. I had a conversation with my friend Joe today about the stark choice that American voters face. There seemed to me to be a stark contrast between going forward, ‘to a new place’, and going back 40 years. The hateful venomous speech in rallies exacerbated by Gov. Sarah Palin were so offensive and detrimental to our progress, I can’t even put into words my shame or distress. My heart breaks that the people I know to be so loving and genuine in their belief in the gospel; yet they align themselves with such blatant hate and shame. I looked at my African American friends tonight; we were both in disbelief and all I could say was, “We are going to a better place.”

In this country, in our hearts, our HOPE, is going to a better place. Thank you, Jesus. Love for all of your children will shine. This country, The United States of America, is going to a better place. All I can say after all the heartbreak, we are going to a better place.
I am young. I haven’t seen the worst of what my home contributed to the history of this great land. Truly anything is possible. I can never understand what has been endured by others at the hands of my ancestors, but I can understand that “YES WE CAN and YES WE DID”. Thank you, Jesus, bring our time of healing and hope.

originally written at 2:38am November 5, 2008









Jill, Matt, Meghan and Daniel








Amecia Lynn Reeves when the victory news came in, my favorite pic from the night





Tay-Tay and his friends





YES WE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






Tay-Tay and me








And then we DANCED!!!!!

No comments: